What you need:
Cooking the Bratwurst and Caramelized Pears:
- 1 pack TMRW Bratwurst, frozen
- 2 tbsp neutral oil
- 1 pear, cored and quartered
- 1 T vegan butter
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- Pinch salt
- Place a large pan on a burner set to medium-low.
- Add 2 tbsp of neutral oil and allow to heat.
- Cook the sausages from frozen for approximately 12 minutes, turning often.
- When the sausages are fully cooked, move them to a paper towel lined plate, and turn the heat up to medium-high.
- To cook the pears, place 1 tbsp of vegan butter to the pan, and allow to melt.
- Add the pears cut side down to the pan and cook them until they brown, flipping often, for approximately 6 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to medium, and add 1 tsp brown sugar, 2 tbsp water, and a pinch of salt, and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover, and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
For the Lentil Salad:
- 1 cup dry green lentils, sorted
- 1 bay leaf
- In a saucepan set to high heat, add the dry lentils and bay leaf, and cover with 5 cups water.
- Allow the water to come to a boil.
- Once boiling, stir the lentils and water, cover with a lid, reduce the temperature to low, and allow to simmer for 25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender, but not mushy.
- Drain, remove the bay leaf, and allow to cool.
For the salad dressing:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2-2 tsp Dijon mustard (add a bit more if using grainy)
- 1-2 cloves, finely minced
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ t black pepper
- Whisk or blend all ingredients together until smooth.
- Adjust seasoning as needed.
For salad assembly:
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 3 cups arugula or greens mix
- Shaved red onion
- Sausages, ¾” diagonal cuts
- Caramelized pear quarters
- Balsamic Dijon Dressing (as little or as much as you’d like)
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, and plate desired amount.